Give your family a treat with Nsala Soup, rich in carbohydrate and protein. It is spiced with pepper, crayfish and ogiri/iru, utazi leaves and Knorr seasoning. It is enjoyed with swallow meals.
- Prep Time Minutes
- 1 medium sized Cat Fish
- 5 small sized raw yam cubes or yam powder
- 2 tablespoonful chopped Utazi Leaves
- 1 tablespoonful ground Crayfish
- 1 teaspoonful Ogiri or Iru (locust beans)
- 1 tablespoonful chopped Onions
- Chili pepper (to taste)
- 1-2 Knorr cubes
- Salt (to taste)
- Cook the meat or dried fish with onions, Knorr cube and salt to taste. Cook until done and set aside.
- Peel the yam cubes and boil until soft, then pound to a smooth paste, using a mortar and pestle. If what you have is yam powder, boil some hot water,add the powder and stir continuously until you get a smooth paste. Set the yam paste aside for later use.
- Next, place the catfish into a pot, pour enough water to cover it, add the chopped onions, Knorr cube and salt to taste.
- Cook for about 10-15 minutes or until the fish is almost done.
- Now, add the pepper, crayfish and ogiri/iru.
- Also, add the yam paste bit by bit and leave the soup to cook until the paste is completely dissolved and the fish is well done.
- Finally, add the utazi leaves, taste for salt and simmer for 30 seconds.