Rice And Beans
A mixture of rice and beans to get the perfect balanced diet meal. Best enjoyed for Lunch or dinner as a main meal. Learn more.
- Prep Time Minutes
- Rice - 2 cigar cups
- 500g Beans - 1 cigar cup
- Tomato stew
- Chicken or Fish
- Salt - to taste
- Onions - 2 medium sized bulbs
- Knorr cubes.
- Wash the beans, discard the water and rinse the beans.
- Put the beans in a pot, pour some water and set to boil. Once the beans starts boiling, turn off the heat, pour away the water & wash again. These steps will help minimize the indigestion associated with beans for most people.
- Prepare the tomato stew, Parboil the rice, cook the chicken till tender with the chopped onions & Knorr cubes.
- If you prefer to use fish, boil the fish for 5 minutes using the same amount of seasoning. Fry or grill the chicken or the fish and set aside.
- Cook the beans till tender and set aside, Pour the chicken/fish stock into a pot big enough to accommodate the rice & beans, remember the rice will rise some more.
- Add the tomato stew, the parboiled rice and the cooked beans.
- Check that the water level is just less than the level of the rice & beans, Add pepper and salt to taste.
- Stir, cover the pot and cook at low to medium heat till the water is dry.
- This meal can be served with the fried chicken, fish or fried plantain as you desire.