Jollof Rice With Mixed Vegetables
Get your jollof rice to taste healthy & to look colorful by adding fresh mixed vegetables as a twist!
- Prep Time Minutes
- Carrots – 5 medium sized
- Green Pepper (Bell pepper) – 1 piece
- Chicken (whole chicken drumsticks or chicken breast)
- Pepper - to taste
- Salt (to taste)
- Onions - 2 medium sized bulbs
- Seasoning – Knorr cubes/Knorr chicken cubes.
- Tatashe (Red bell pepper)
- Habanero Pepper(Rodo)
- Tomato Puree
- Dried Thyme
- Curry powder.
- Prepare tomato stew (Blend tomatoes, onions, Red bell pepper and habanero pepper to a smooth paste and cook.
- If whole chicken is going to be used: Wash and cut it into pieces. Cook with Knorr chicken cubes &2 bulbs of onions (chopped). The cooking time depends on the type of chicken. When done, grill in an oven.You may also choose to fry your chicken to give it a golden look which is more presentable.
- Parboil the rice, Wash the parboiled rice and put in a sieve to drain. Pour the chicken stock(from the cooked chicken in step2) and the tomato stew into a sizeable pot and leave to boil.
- Add the drained parboiled rice, pepper and seasoning to taste. The water level should be the same level of the rice. This is to ensure that all the water dries up by the time the rice is cooked.
- Cover the pot and leave to cook on low to medium heat. This way the rice does not burn before the water dries up.
- Wash, scrape and cut the carrots into small cubes. Also wash and cut the green pepper into small pieces.
- When the water is almost dry(from step 5), add the diced carrots, cover the pot and continue cooking. When the water is completely dry, turn off the stove.
- Add the diced green pepper and turn the rice with a wooden spoon (This is done because green pepper is a soft vegetable so even the slightest heat is enough to get it done. If added at the same time as the carrots (which are harder) they will turn very dark by the time the water has completely dried. Green pepper is added after the cooker is turned off to keep the pepper green & looking fresh).
- Your Jollof rice is ready and can be served with fried plantain or Moin-Moin.