Beef Stew with Pumpkin Leaves
Healthy Beef Stew
Try this new healthy pumpkin beef stew with a combination of Ugu leaves and fresh tomatoes.
- Recipe serves:6
- Prep Time Minutes
- 4 Medium Fresh Tomatoes
- 50 grams Tomato paste
- 65ml Vegetable Oil
- 500 grams Lean Beef
- 2 Onions
- 1 Tatase (Red) Pepper
- 5 Iron Fortified Knorr Stock Cubes
- 1 Tbsp. Thyme
- 1 Tbsp. Curry
- 1 big bunch of Pumpkin Leaves (ugu)
- 775 grams Long Grain White Rice
- Wash and cut the meat into bite sized cubes. Place in a pot and add water, thyme, curry and 2 Iron Fortified Knorr Stock Cubes. Cook the meat until done and then fry/grill the chunks. Set aside and reserve the beef stock.
- Open the can of tomato paste, scoop contents into a bowl and dilute with a little water. Set aside.
- Grind the fresh tomatoes, pepper and almost all of the onions.
- Pour the ground tomato mix into a pot and leave to boil until the consistency is thick and the excess water has dried up.
- Heat up the vegetable oil and add some onions. Add the tomato mix and the diluted tomato puree and fry for about 25 minutes. Stir continuously to prevent from burning at the bottom.
- Add 2 Iron Fortified Knorr Stock Cubes and cook for 10 minutes.
- Chop the pumpkin leaves, toss them into the stew, give it a quick stir, and crumble 1 Iron Fortified Knorr Stock Cube.
- Stir and cook for 2-3 more minutes. Serve with rice
- *The more you add, the better for you!